Who We Are
The Center for Southeast Asian Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison fosters a wide variety of research, teaching and outreach activities about Southeast Asia. Since 1981 (renewed for 2022-2026), the Center has been recognized as a National Resource Center by the U.S. Department of Education, and has received Title VI funding for program development and Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships.
We promote greater understanding of the Southeast Asian region through academic year courses, a summer language institute, study abroad opportunities, a publication series, outreach activities, a weekly public lecture series, student research and study grants, and degree programs. Our faculty and students are a vibrant community of scholars with research and teaching interests in a wide variety of academic disciplines. The Center operates a vigorous and well-developed program committed to the study of Southeast Asia that is recognized as one of the best worldwide.
The Center for Southeast Asian Studies is a unit in the International Division and a member of the Institute for Regional and International Studies.
Thongchai Winichakul Awarded the George McT Kahin PrizeFebruary 21, 2023
Spring 2023 Course ListOctober 25, 2022
- March 24Center for Southeast Asian Studies Friday Forum Lecture“The Making of Pa Chay Company and the Hmong Communist Revolution”12:00 PM, 336 Ingraham Hall
- March 31Center for Southeast Asian Studies Friday Forum Lecture"Mobilizing for Elections: Patronage and Political Machines in Southeast Asia"12:00 PM, 206 Ingraham Hall
- April 7Center for Southeast Asian Studies Friday Forum Lecture/JSEALab Keynote Speaker"Colonial States and their Legacies across Southeast Asia: Through the Lens of Japan’s Wartime Empire"12:00 PM, 206 Ingraham Hall
- April 14Center for Southeast Asian Studies Friday Forum Lecture“Cost-cutting vs. Community: The Challenges and Opportunities of Teaching Southeast Asia at Madison Area Technical College”12:00 PM, 206 Ingraham Hall
- April 21Center for Southeast Asian Studies Friday Forum Lecture“The Legacies of War: Physical Scars and Invisible Wounds, Past, Present & Future”12:00 PM, 336 Ingraham Hall
Click here to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, with information about SE Asia related conferences, events, programs, funding, and more! For questions about upcoming events, email firstname.lastname@example.org.